search collections
browse collections

Complete Collection


“The purposes for which the Society is formed are for the maintenance and preservation of historical landmarks and for the maintenance of ponds, parks, greens, and trees in the Village of East Hampton and vicinity, as well as for charitable and educational improvement and the advancement of the general welfare of the said Village of East Hampton and vicinity.”

The Lake Ronkonkoma Heritage Association is a unique combination of local living, lore and history and is dedicated to the education and enjoyment of the people of Lake Ronkonkoma and beyond. Our mission shall be achieved through the thoughtful communication, interpretation and enhancement to all who feel the desire to add to the heritage of Lake Ronkonkoma to their life. We shall enhance the interest of the residents through active demonstration of the past, develop the necessity of the information for daily life, and offer the community celebration while establishing a lasting explanation of our heritage.

The Lake Ronkonkoma Historical Society's mission is to celebrate and preserve the rich local history of the Lake Ronkonkoma area. We operate two museums: The Lake Ronkonkoma Historical Society Museum founded in 1976 which is housed in what was once the Lake Ronkonkoma Free Library and the Fitz-Greene Hallock Homestead (an historic place) which is a 14-room home built in 1888 and is complete with all the original Hallock family furnishings. The Historical Society offers various tours and programs throughout the year.

The Long Beach Historical and Preservation Society was founded in 1980 with a mission to educate the public about Long Beach and to preserve and enhance the city’s architectural and historical heritage. In pursuit of its mission, the Society serves as the guardian of thousands of pieces of Long Beach history for which it maintains an archive and repository. The archived documents, pictures, artifacts and memorabilia are made available to the public through themed exhibitions, as well as for research purposes.

The Madoo Conservancy is dedicated to the study, preservation, and enhancement of Madoo, the ever-changing, horticulturally diverse garden with historic structures established in 1967 by artist, gardener, and writer Robert Dash in the village of Sagaponack, New York. At Madoo, a unique living tribute to the artistic imagination of its founder, we seek to continually engage, educate, and inspire our visitors within this ever-changing, entirely organic environment.

Memorial Cemetery was founded by John Divine Jones in 1862. This cemetery replaced the original cemetery located above the church. In the early 1900s, William and Henry DeForest purchased 10 acres for their own cemetery on the west end. The DeForest family then sold 7 acres back to the church and retained 3 acres for their personal use. The DeForest family had brought in the Olmsted Brothers landscape firm who had designed their estates in Oyster Bay Cove and Lloyd Harbor then retained the firm to design their 3 acre plot. The Memorial Cemetery then retained the Olmsted Brother’s firm to design the other 7 acres of this parcel. The Olmsted Brother’s firm continued to work on designing new section of the cemetery up until the 1950s. These new layouts were much smaller and less park like when compared to the original designs from 1918. Some of the more prominent plot owners did contract separately with the Olmsted Brothers to design their plots.

The mission of the Society is to collect, preserve and share the history of Long Island with emphasis on Miller Place, Mount Sinai and the surrounding areas. The Miller Place Historical Society was founded in 1974. In 1982 the name was changed to Miller Place-Mount Sinai Historical Society to reflect the close ties the two communities have shared since the 1600s. The Society oversees two properties with several buildings, The William Miller House & The Daniel Hawkins House.

The Mineola Historical Society is dedicated to the preservation of the history of our village. The Society is a non-profit voluntary association. Organized in 1988 with the avowed purpose of "discovering, collecting, preserving and publishing" matters of local history. We are a repository for many Mineola pictures, books, articles and memorabilia.

The Phillips House Museum is located in a restored Victorian-era home at 28 Hempstead Avenue. Considered one of the finest small museums in New York State, the Phillips House is furnished in period furniture and is dedicated to depicting life in Rockville Centre during the 19th and 20th centuries.

The Nassau County Historical Society seeks to enlarge public understanding of the history of Nassau County and to encourage the study of its history and of Long Island generally. It regularly sponsors historical programs presenting speakers who are authorities on various aspects of Long Island life and history, it publishes a journal containing articles of historical interest, and it tries to increase awareness of the county's historical sites. It has collected artifacts, documents, books, and other writings related to the county's history. Originally organized in 1915, the Society was incorporated in 1920 and received a permanent charter from the State Education Department in 1958.

The mission of the Northport Historical Society is to preserve and promote the heritage of Northport, East Northport, Asharoken, Crab Meadow, Fort Salonga and Eaton's Neck. We are entrusted with discovering, collecting, and interpreting the historic objects, documents, photographs, and other material that will continue to inform our lives and bring pride to our posterity. We maintain a museum and research library in a landmark building where artifacts associated with the area's history are curated and displayed. We seek to illuminate our legacy through educational programs, exhibits and social activities. We work with others to maintain the character of the Northport area through supporting efforts to preserve historic structures and spaces.

OBHS preserves Ocean Beach’s history through the Sea Scrolls, archives, programs and public events. The OBHS Archive volunteers research, collect, preserve, and make available to the public information, artifacts, art and memorabilia related to the history of Ocean Beach.

The Oyster Bay Historical Society held its first meeting on March 17, 1960, in the Oyster Bay Public Library. Founding trustee Dr. Howard Imhof served as chair for the session, during which Mrs. Miner Carolyn Hill was elected president. Mrs. Hill, on her election, indicated that, “while there are other historical societies, notably Sagamore Hill and Raynham Hall already established in Oyster Bay, we believe that a society devoted to the collection and preservation of material and lore pertaining to Oyster Bay itself, will perform a greatly needed function.”

Preservation Long Island is a 501c3 not-for-profit organization committed to working with Long Islanders to celebrate and preserve our diverse cultural and architectural heritage through advocacy, education, and the stewardship of historic sites and collections. Working to raise awareness, appreciation, and support for the protection of a shared past, our program areas include: interpreting historic sites; collecting art and material culture pertaining to Long Island history; creating publications and exhibits; and providing direct support and technical assistance to individuals and groups engaged in local preservation efforts.

The Quogue Wildlife Refuge is a 305 acre non-profit nature preserve that was founded in 1934 and is home to diverse wildlife. Free of charge and open 365 days a year from sunrise to sunset, you can enjoy walking seven miles of trails to explore diverse habitats including forests and ponds, as well as the ecologically rare Dwarf Pines in the Pine Barrens.

Created in 1990, our Mission continues to this day: “Dedicated to the restoration, preservation and interpretation of the history and artifacts pertaining to the railroads which participated in the growth of Long Island, its communities and industries for the entertainment, edification, and good of present and future generations.” The Museum maintains facilities at Greenport, L.I., N.Y. and Riverhead, L.I., N.Y. and is officially recognized by the New York State Education Department. The RMLI serves primarily the communities of Suffolk County. Our visitors and patrons also come to us from Nassau County, New York City, from across the United States and throughout the World!

The mission of Raynham Hall Museum is to enable visitors of the nearly 300-year-old Townsend family home in Oyster Bay to experience what it meant to be prominent merchants and heroic patriots, and to become engaged in the worlds of espionage, domestic life and the decorative arts. The building and grounds of Raynham Hall are owned by the Town of Oyster Bay, and the site is operated as a museum by the Friends of Raynham Hall, Inc. The Museum has been accredited by the American Alliance of Museums since 1991, the only historic house museum on Long Island to bear that distinction. We are also a local, state and national landmark, listed at the national level of significance.

The Sagtikos Manor was built in 1697 by Stephanus Van Cortlandt, first American born Mayor of New York City. Several families owned the Manor until Jonathan Thompson purchased the property in 1758. Many generations of the Thompson-Gardiner Family members owned Sagtikos until 2002. The estate once served as headquarters for the British Army on Long Island for a brief time during the Revolutionary War. President George Washington stayed there overnight during his tour of Long Island in 1790. The Manor House was built in 1697 and expanded in 1772 and again in 1902. Once occupying 1200 acres, currently the property resides on ten acres with several structures comprising of a walled garden, ice house, carriage house and the Thompson-Gardiner family cemetery. The forty two room house is furnished with original family pieces, just as it was when the last owner moved out in 1963. Take a tour through the Manor House where you can view furniture, accessories and architectual styles from the 1600s to the middle 1900s. Retrace the steps that George Washington took when you enter the house and visit the bedroom where he slept.

Powered by Preservica
© Copyright 2021-2023 Long Island University